Living in Northern BC

When contemplating an education in Northern BC, there are a number of things to take into consideration as an international student.


Our institutions are situated in welcoming communities with much of the support and services offered in larger cities. Northern BC communities offer a high quality of life, affordable cost-of-living and modern amenities and a host of social and entertainment options. Our communities are:

  • Safe, friendly and affordable
  • Home to world-class entertainment and recreation facilities
  • Bustling with hotels, restaurants, coffee shops and shopping centres
  • Diverse and welcoming with an abundance of local arts and culture
  • Learn more about our communities here.


There are a number of accommodation options available to international students including:

  • Homestay: The opportunity to stay with a Canadian family. Homestay students receive their own private room and share the remainder of the house with their host family. Homestay provides the opportunity to improve English language skills and learn about Canadian culture and your new community while in a safe and supportive family environment.
  • Residence: Our institutions have on-campus residences. Residence living features safe and comfortable rooms for students within a shared common campus property with kitchen, laundry, lounge facilities and student advisors
  • Off-Campus Housing: Our communities offer a variety of housing options for those considering off-campus accommodation. Rental costs in Northern BC are generally much lower than in bigger cities. For relatively low-cost-of-living, students can enjoy independent living within a short walk or bus ride from campus.

Contact your institution of choice to find are which available options are best suited to your needs.


There are eight (8) airports in Northern BC, making urban centres such as Vancouver, Edmonton and Calgary a short commute.


You may be eligible to work in Canada while studying and after you graduate. As a study permit holder, you may qualify to work on-campus or off-campus without an additional work permit if you meet specific criteria.

Pending qualification, your study permit may allow you to work:

  • up to 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions
  • full time during scheduled breaks, such as winter and summer holidays

If your academic, professional or vocational training program includes an essential co-op or internship component, you will need to apply for a work permit.

For more details, see Work Permits for Students.


To work in Canada after you graduate, you can apply for a work permit under the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP). If you want to stay in Canada as a permanent resident after you graduate, there are a number of programs available, each with its own requirements.

For more information on working in, or immigrating to, Canada post graduation, visit: